Monday, November 25, 2013

Week # 16


Blog Post # 16: The Fox - by Ylvis

So I'm ending my blog posts with a funny one, because I can. The song "The Fox" by Ylvis has become viral over the summer, coming all the way from Norway as a legitimate song (no, really) to millions upon millions of hits on youtube. Most people can associate it with "Vine", a social media site dedicated to fun 7-second videos made by its users and shared. Whether or not you think this song is completely idiotic, it's catchy as hell. I personally have it downloaded in my phone because I can't get it out of my head its so funny. I watched the video again in my Digital Media / Marketing classes and analyzed why the song appeals to so many - especially children. My professor stressed the fact that this was not just a willy-nilly funny dance song, but a carefully organized and planned out shoot. Everything from the animals to the sounds to the subtitles, to all the lights and dance moves make this irresistible fodder for children. My professor went on to say that is was like "the Ol' MacDonald" of the newer generation. It's interesting how seemingly weird these Europeans are when watching the video - but really, they're geniuses. I love the video even though it's stupid. It's just a fun beat and a good time. Like Psy, Ylvis found a way to transcend language and culture barriers and hit us mashed-potato-brained Americans with a flourish of whimsy. And being the pawns we are, we ate it all up. What does the fox say? Pow-Pow-Pow.

No comments:

Post a Comment